giovedì 28 agosto 2008

Sopas for Breakfast

This morning I woke up with the voice of my auntie echoing in my ears: she was calling my brother, asking him to buy some milk...so I got up and asked her what she was going to do with milk ( for she usually drink black coffee and nothing more...) and she simply replied " Oh well, I prepared "sopas" so we need some milk to pour into it, don't you think?" ...well, guys, I went to the kitchen to find this

on the table! And it was 8 o' clock in the morning!I was a bit shocked, for I forgot that yes, Italians usually eat pasta for lunch and dinner but, in Philippines, pasta is nothing more than a snack!
( I remember my cousin giving me a dish of Spaghetti and me asking " what is this?!" she gave me a smile and replied "merienda, of course!" lol!)
My brother bought milk and ate two cups of sopas my aunt herself finished one; I was late for work so I had to give it up...my portion of sopas is still in the ref, waiting for me! :D

Ps: if you want to know how real sopas looks like ( as my aunt used tortellini and not elbow macaroni and didn't put meat and vegetables) take a look at this site : http://ascientistinthekitchen.net/pasta/sopas-a-filipino-version-of-minestroni/

Sopas is one Filipino dish that can be good as snacks or a complete meal itself. Traditionally, it consists of boiling chicken or pork bones with salt and pepper. Once you get good tasting broth flavor, elbow macaroni is added which you cook till al dente. When the pasta is almost done, vegetables are added usually chopped carrots and cabbage. Once done, season with salt and pepper to taste and add a cup of milk to make it really creamy.

Nessun commento: